HISPANIC LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE
Click here for a flyer about the Hispanic Leadership Institute.
The Hispanic Leadership Institute (HLI) promotes the individual development of Hispanics for increased participation in leadership roles and serves as a principal education and networking resource for expertise and advocacy on leadership issues affecting Latino communities.
Educating ourselves as leaders is one of the best ways we can learn to truly connect to the community. The Hispanic Leadership Institute was established and designed to educate and assist individuals in developing and expanding their leadership skills to take an active role in the community. Founded in 1986, as a partnership between Valle del Sol, the Valley of the Sun United Way and South Mountain Community College, HLI has been endorsed by several community leaders. A new partnership between Valle del Sol and Arizona State University’s (ASU) School of Extended Education was formed in 1994 to strengthen and expand the Institute.
The Hispanic Leadership Institute is an 18-week program of weekly classes conducted one evening a week. HLI participants receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) through ASU’s School of Extended Education. HLI offers participants the opportunity to engage Arizona’s foremost business and policy authorities in a continuing dialogue about leadership and Latino issues. The Hispanic Leadership Institute enhances participants’ understanding of the role culture plays in a variety of circumstances, with specific attention to the enduring influence of Latinos in Arizona. The curriculum builds from participants’ experiences, emphasizing personal and professional development with a practical orientation. Sessions focus on ethics, cultural and personal identity, leadership self-assessment, community issues, public and media relations skills, board/commission service, and meeting protocols among other topics.
APPLICATION PROCESS for the HLI Class of 2013
- Sessions for HLI begin on Tuesday, February 5, 2013.
- Applications are due December 5, 2012. Click here to download the application.
- Participants must attend a mandatory Leadership Institute Retreat on a Saturday (date TBD) from 8:30am to 5pm.
- Candidates will participate in a 30 minute interview process the week of December 11, 2012.
- The program fee is $1,000 for all sessions and includes materials. The program fee for nonprofit organization participants is $750. Click here to make a credit card payment online.
For more information, contact (602) 258-6797, ext. 527 or email@example.com