Leadership Programs Alumni Job Board
Looking for an opportunity to flex your leadership skills? Listed below are opportunities for local nonprofit organizations that are looking for leaders like you to join their staff.
Development Director - Center for the Future of Arizona
|Organization||Center for the Future of Arizona|
|Compensation||$70,000 - $100,000 depends on experience
NOTE: This is a grant-funded position. Continuation is contingent on future grant writing.
|Job Description||The Center for the Future of Arizona (CFA) seeks a full-time Director, Development to facilitate and secure philanthropic investments for CFA, and our associated initiatives and events. The ideal candidate is invested in the mission of the organization, passionate about and committed to the success of CFA’s work, motivated to be part of an ambitious and results-oriented team, and has an established background in coordinating nonprofit donation strategies.
This critical role involves all stages of planning and implementation of fundraising activities including 1) providing strategic direction for the development effort; 2) identifying funding opportunities and engaging in outreach; 3) coordinating donor cultivation and stewardship; 4) assisting in the preparation of proposals, reports, etc.; 5) leading work related to CFA’s internal development operations and grants management; and 6) prepare and lead presentations related to CFA’s philanthropic endeavors.
CFA is a respected champion for Arizona, articulating and advancing an action-oriented agenda based on what Arizonans have said matters most to them. We lead a number of dynamic statewide education, workforce and civic health initiatives focused on student success for all learners, increasing educational attainment, preparing a highly-skilled workforce, and creating an engaged citizenry. The projects involve multiple partners at local, state and national levels, including non-profit, K-12, higher education, community-based organizations, government, philanthropic, and business and industry partners. CFA recently launched the Arizona Progress Meters--a set of evolving, dynamic tools to support data-driven dialogue, prompt action, and measure progress around the issues that matter most to Arizonans.
This position reports to CFA’s President & CEO and works closely with the entire CFA staff.
|Essential Duties||Provide Strategic Direction for Development Efforts
• Responsible for strategic direction and execution of development action plans to meet CFA’s short- and long-term fundraising goals.
• Direct and manage the operation of CFA’s development work.
• Maintain organization’s development database (Salesforce) including all funding activity; accurately manage donor and prospect information, pledges and receivables, analysis and reports. In coordination with staff, lead and grow utilization efforts of Salesforce platform, researching best practices and innovation solutions to best meet CFA’s needs.
• Work with program leads and Director, Fiscal and Business Operations to ensure Development revenue goals align with organization’s budget planning.
• Actively participate in CFA’s Budget process and develop/oversee the Development budget.
• Play lead role in preparing for Development Committee meetings and other presentations to senior leadership and the Board of Directors.
• Prepare development materials for internal and external meetings
• Provide CFA senior leadership with regular development and funding activity updates.
• Support special project initiatives as directed.
Manage the Identification and Cultivation of Development Opportunities
• Identify and cultivate prospective donors including foundations, corporations and individuals.
• Create and manage stewardship plan that allows for maintaining the interests and potential funding opportunities with current donors.
• Maintain information on current fund development trends and funder interest as it pertains to organization’s mission and activities. Keep senior leadership apprised of trends.
• Work with CFA staff to identify opportunities that align program activities with donors’ interests and facilitate donor cultivation and proposal submission.
• Coordinate with CFA leadership, operations and program staff to secure funding for special initiatives and events.
• Conduct prospect research as needed.
Direct Efforts for Internal Development and Grants Management Operations
• Oversee organization-wide grant proposals and submissions; work closely with program staff in the development of funding proposals; prepare and organize materials for proposal submissions.
• Create professional development opportunities for CFA staff to engage in all areas of development including prospect research, grants management activities, and donor cultivation.
• Ensure compliance with grant management policies and procedures; ensure the quality and timeliness of grant reporting.
• Ensure compliance with state regulations regarding the management of state contracts.
• Coordinate with operations staff to complete gift and grant acknowledgements; reconcile pledges and gifts with in-house accounting systems.
• Maintain CFA database to ensure information input and retrieval is consistent with organization’s needs.
|Minimum Qualifications||Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment AND eight (8) years of related administrative experience, which includes five (5) years of supervisory experience; OR, Twelve (12) years of related administrative experience, which includes five (5) years of supervisory experience; OR, Any equivalent combination of education and/or experience from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.|
|Desired Qualifications||• Demonstrated knowledge of principles and techniques of development/fundraising, preferably in the nonprofit sector.
• Demonstrated success in securing major gifts from foundations, corporations and individuals.
• Evidence of a collaborative style, combined with the ability and desire to work in a team-based environment.
• Experience in maintaining a high degree of confidentiality and responsibility for information related to CFA business and confidential prospect information. Adherence to standard code of ethics for fundraising professionals.
• Experience in developing strategic plans for development activity.
• Evidence of implementing sophisticated, multi-year cultivation strategies that use a relationship-building and moves-management approach leaving to successful gift closure.
• Experience in stewardship plans leading to additional investments.
• Demonstrated knowledge in managing a development campaign.
• Demonstrated knowledge of the operations of both the public and private sectors.
• Experience in proposal writing and budgeting.
• Experience in database management (CRM/CMS), preferably Salesforce.
• Experience in working collaboratively to produce successful, high-quality grant proposals.
• Evidence of excellent verbal and written communication, with specific emphasis on presentations to prospective donors.
• Evidence of having an advocate’s belief in the vision of CFA to address and solve the critical issues facing our state and our communities.
• Experience in work that requires organizational skills, including the ability to function at a high level in a multi-tasking environment.
• Experience collecting, evaluating and analyzing data (including the ability to manage datasets utilizing Excel or other database/statistical software).
• Experience working in an environment subject to tight deadlines and changing priorities.
• Evidence of being a self-starter able to secure personal appointments and qualify new prospects.
|Working Environment||• Activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and manipulating a computer mouse.
• Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 20 pounds.
• Travel involving operation of a motor vehicle, must have access to an automobile, have and maintain a valid Arizona driver’s license.
|Organization Statement||The Center for the Future of Arizona is committed to bringing Arizonans together to build a bright future for our state. More than a think tank, CFA is a non-partisan “do tank” combining research with collaborative partnerships and initiatives that drive the state’s economic prosperity, quality of life and civic health. For more information about CFA and our current efforts, please visit www.arizonafuture.org.
The Center for the Future of Arizona is a 501(c)3, and an affiliate organization of Arizona State University under the Office of the President Emeritus. CFA is supported by public and private donors and organizations from across Arizona and throughout the country.
|ASU Statement||Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe. ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit www.asu.edu/tobaccofree. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.|
|To Apply||Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on July 31, 2019.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
CFA does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.