ROSA CARRILLO TORRES MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
Uvaldo Herrera Hispanic Leadership Scholarship Fund:
The Uvaldo Herrera Hispanic Leadership Scholarship Fund is named in honor of Uvaldo Herrera, a 2007 graduate of the Hispanic Leadership Institute, who passed away in August 2011. This fund will aid individuals with tuition assistance for any of Valle del Sol’s Hispanic leadership programs. From Phoenix to Yuma, Pinal County to Avondale, the Uvaldo Herrera Hispanic Leadership Scholarship Fund will serve to promote Latino leadership development. Founding donors of the fund are Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona, Roman and Lucas Galindo-Elvira, Republic Media Volunteers, Southwest Airlines, and State Farm.
Rosa Carrillo Torres Memorial Scholarship:
The Rosa Carrillo Torres Memorial Scholarship was established by the Valle del Sol to provide support for students who are the first generation in their family planning to pursue a secondary education and of Hispanic heritage. Rosa was an ardent advocate of the vulnerable populations and dedicated countless hours to offering them hope and opportunities. Her legacy lives on and will continue to make a difference in the lives of those in need by way of educational scholarships. Her strong commitment to the Latino community and spirit of volunteerism will never be forgotten.
- Seniors in good standing who will graduate from the Phoenix Union High School District or any charter school located in the City of Phoenix boundaries.
- Hispanic heritage.
- Preference is given to low income and first generation to attend college (first generation is defined as: parents did not graduate from a four-year college or university).
- Minimum high school 2.5 GPA in both Junior and Senior year of high school.
- Accepted by and plan to enroll as a full-time student at an accredited, post-secondary institution or vocational program in Arizona.
- Preference given to, but not limited to, students pursuing a major in a health care field or communications.
- Academically motivated as determined by a school transcript and letters of recommendation.
Award: $1000 per year renewable for up to four years of award.
Valle del Sol in partnership with the Arizona Community Foundations reviews all qualifying applications through a selection committee process. All applications must be completed online through the Arizona Community Foundation scholarship portal. Click here to apply online. Application deadline is March 29, 2013.
- Register for and complete a minimum of 12 semester hours each semester.
- Maintain a GPA of at least 2.75.
- Submit a Year-end Report detailing learning and service experiences.
- Submit an up-to-date copy of unofficial transcript at the end of the Spring semester.