Board of Directors
Member Position Description
The board of directors are trustees who act on behalf of an organization’s constituents, including service recipients, funders, members, the government, and taxpayers. The board of directors has the principal responsibility for fulfillment of the organization’s mission and the legal accountability for its operations. This charge includes establishing a clear organizational mission, overseeing and evaluating the plan’s success, hiring, supervising, and supporting a competent chief executive officer, ensuring financial solvency of the organization, interpreting and representing the community to the organization, and instituting a fair system of policies and procedures for human resource management.
Board Member Expectations
- Regularly attend and participate in all board and committee meetings and special events functions as listed below. Board meetings are scheduled for the last Monday of each month excluding July and December. Bylaws hold that the Board must meet a minimum of 4 times plus the annual meeting, usually held in January.
- Special events & functions requiring board member attendance
– Board Retreat
– Profiles of Success luncheon
– Annual Meeting (usually held in January)
– Budget and Strategic Plan (usually held in June)
- Are familiar with Valle del Sol’s mission, services, policies, and programs so as to be able to speak positively, work with, and educate, others on Valle del Sol’s initiatives.
- Review agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings.
- Make a personal financial contribution to the organization. The Board has adopted a minimum of $350 donation on an annual, fiscal year basis. This does not apply to Board Members who are patients.
- Participate actively in sub-committees, ad hoc committees, and task forces and offer to take on special assignments.
- Stay informed about committee matters, prepares themselves well for meetings, and review and comment on minutes and reports.
- Suggest possible nominees to the board who can make significant contributions to the work of the board and the organization.
- Provide feedback to the Board Chair regarding the performance evaluation of the CEO.
- Follow conflict of interest and confidentiality policies.
- Serve as trustees of Valle del Sol’s Retirement Plan (via the Trustee Committee).
- Assist the board in carrying out its fiduciary responsibilities, such as reviewing the organization’s financial statements and approving the annual budget, audit and agency strategic plan.
- Are active participants in annual evaluation and strategic planning efforts.
- Participate in fundraising for the organization. Including but not limited to; selling tables for Profiles of Success, and/or the Gold Tournament connecting the agency with potential donors, and soliciting donors/donations.
Board Member Characteristics
Ability to: listen, analyze, think clearly and creatively, work well with people individually and in a group.
Willing to: prepare for and attend board and committee meetings, ask questions, take responsibility and follow through on a given task or assignment within the board, contribute personal and financial resources in a generous way according to circumstances, open doors in the community, evaluate oneself.
Develop certain skills if you do not already possess them, such as: cultivate and solicit funds, cultivate and recruit board members and other volunteers, read and understand financial statement, learn more about Valle’s program areas.
Possess: honesty, sensitivity to and tolerance of differing views, a friendly, responsive, and patient approach, community building skills, personal integrity, a developed sense of values, concern for Valle del Sol’s sustainability and development.
To apply, download our Board Application and follow the directions to submit.