ADHD or Just Spirited?
If you’ve seen the following behaviors in your child, you’ve probably wondered if your child could be struggling with ADHD.
- Is constantly in motion
- Refuses to do what you say
- Keeps a messy room
- Rushes through tasks
Guess what? All of those are actually pretty normal behaviors for kids.
However, your child may have an attention disorder if:
- These behaviors exist in all aspects of his/her life – school, home, extra-curricular activities.
- These behaviors started before the age of 7 and have lasted for more than 6 months.
- Your child is having trouble at school or social situations because of the behaviors.
If that sounds familiar, it might be time to have a conversation with your pediatrician so that s/he can evaluate your child for an attention disorder.
There is no one test to diagnose ADHD, and there are actually two goals to any thorough ADHD evaluation. First, to determine whether or not your child has an attention disorder and second, to rule out other problems such as learning differences, troubles with hearing or vision, anxiety, autism or mood disorders.
To do this, your pediatrician may use any number of different tests.
- Questionnaires or rating scales that measure symptoms
- Clinical interviews
- IQ test
- Evidence gathering from schoolwork, report cards, reports from teachers
- Motor, vocabulary, memory, vision and hearing tests
And remember, an ADHD diagnosis doesn’t have to define your child. In fact, seeking a proper diagnosis will help ensure that your child finds a treatment plan that will allow him or her to live a full and satisfying life!
Our friendly and experienced physicians are ready to help your active child succeed! Call 602-523-9312 to book an appointment or use the button to schedule an appointment online.
This health center is a Health Center Program grantee under 42 U.S.C. 254b, and a deemed Public Health Service employee under 42 U.S.C. 233(g)-(n).
Our Primary Care Providers:
Dr. Eduardo Alcantar MD
Dr John Jones DO
Dr. Anne Maiden DO, FAAP
William McGinnis FNP
Cleopatra Park PNP
Glendine Soiseth LCSW, BHP
3807 N. 7th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85014
Valle del Sol Mi Salud Clinic
Central City South
1209 S. 1st Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85003
Valle del Sol Red Mountain Service Center
334 W. 10th Place Ste. 101
Mesa, AZ 85201
502 N. 27th Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85009